NWEAMO 2015 Music Festival
Magic in the Skyline
Music by the 35 voiced FOLKLORE GUILD featuring SWARMIUS
Immersive Virtual Space Installation Imaginary Acoustics
Date: Friday, June 19 at 7:30PM
Place: Helen Price Reading Room, 8th Floor
San Diego Central Library
330 Park Boulevard, San Diego, California 92101
Suggested Donation: $15 General/$10 Students and Seniors
Parking: FREE PARKING available in the underground parking garage on 11th ave.
Websites: http://nweamo.org/ http://www.folkloreguild.org/ http://swarmius.com/
Warming up for Comic-Con, concert two of NWEAMO’s (New West Electronic Arts & Music Organization) annual cross-genre music festival, will feature works by noted Hollywood feature film & video game composers, plus works inspired by fantasy D&D-type genres in film, video and rave subcultures.
Entitled “Magic in the Skyline” the concert will take place on the breathtaking eighth floor atrium of the new San Diego central public library. The 8th floor comprises the Helen Price Reading Room, which offers library visitors a stunning view of the bay and Coronado through 40 foot windows.
The works will be performed by San Diego’s hot new, gen Z infused choir Folklore Guild, accompanied by virtuoso crossover ensemble SWARMIUS.
In addition, throughout the day prior to the concert, there will be a reality altering immersive sonic installation entitled Imaginary Acoustics in the 9th floor Shiley Auditorium, by newly minted UCSD PhD electronic wizard Dr. Centurious (Chris Warren). (see below)*
Folklore Guild http://www.folkloreguild.org/ , the divine inspiration of Merlin (Angel Mannion), operates from the insight that the pathway to great classical music today is through the enchanted valleys and mountains of fantasy role-playing video games such as Dragon Age and magical film epics such as Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter. Through this lens a compelling aesthetic is emerging that accepts and celebrates this as normative and transformative – not a dumbing down but a luminous and enticing gateway to higher pastures. And as a source in itself of emerging value systems and places where relevant and groundbreaking conversations are fermenting and emerging.
This fits in perfectly with NWEAMO’s trajectory, which has always been about recognizing and cultivating the unique cultural voice of San Diego, neither the fast-paced cool of Los Angeles nor the urban chic of NYC, but a vivid, robust Mecca: the land of surfing, beaches, Comic-Con, the subtly subversive, sub-radar and deeply pro-actively mischievous Dr. Seuss, on the border of Mexico and gateway to the Pacific Rim, land of Harry Partch & near perfect weather. Whatever that means culturally is what NWEAMO aims to explore.
Magic In The Skyline will feature World Premiere Choral and Instrumental Pieces by:
Jon Kull (A-list Hollywood Film Orchestrator of The Hunger Games, Avatar, Bourne Legacy, Maleficent, I am Legend & hundreds of others)
- Trevor Morris (Dragon Age: Inquisition)
- Ramin Djawadi (Game of Thrones)
- Chris Fulford-Brown (Composer for Singing Serpent Studios & Comic-Con feature musician)
- Jozefius Rattus aka Joe Waters (Composer for SWARMIUS)
- Eric Whitacre
Featuring choir, cello, guitar, saxophones, vibraphone, and live electronics
* Imaginary Acoustics Note from Dr. Centurious: “In 2013, I first visited the Integratron, Southern California’s local intergalactic spaceport and time travel research center, located deep in the Mojave desert. Its parabolic dome, said to be based on the design of Moses’ Tabernacle, the writings of Nikola Tesla, and telepathic directions from extraterrestrials, undermines the perceptual underpinnings of acoustics by making sounds seem to approach the listener from unexpected angles. I had just spent several years making acoustic measurements of unusual spaces for EchoThief, but this was a whole new magnitude of strange. As a result, I began to imagine truly impossible acoustic spaces—ones where sounds might dissipate but then reform, approach from surprising directions, or transform into absurdly long drones. Imaginary Acoustics is my realization of this strange dream, a space where the laws of physics are no longer valid, a sonic hall of funhouse mirrors.”
Founded and directed by maverick San Diego composer Jozefius Rattus (earthling name Joe Waters), NWEAMO has mounted its annual eclectic, genre bending festival since 1998.
SPECIAL EVENT ALERT!
As part of the World Wide Making Music Day event, SWARMIUS will play
June 20th Sunday at 3:00 PM in the Zorro Garden in Balboa Park.
This lovely garden is also known as “The Butterfly Garden” because it is planted with
Butterfly attracting plants and because of the Murals on the wall.
It is located next to the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center.
The final concert of NWEAMO is being rescheduled: “The Big Ripe Yellow Banana Concert For The People Of The City” location and date will be announced as soon as possible.